Chocolate Bayou Club Trip 1-20-18

Reports from our club trips.

Moderator: _NobleNate

mgiannaccio1
Site Admin

Chocolate Bayou Club Trip 1-20-18

Post by mgiannaccio1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 pm

We launched at the 2004 public boat ramp around 9:30 and headed north to fish the old bends in the bayou. The water clarity was very nice and winds were out of the south 10-15 mph. Before we launched we wagered that the largest fish would win the Railblaza Visibility kit that was donated by YakGear and the competition was on.

We paddled the bends searching for the fish using paddle tails on jig heads (1/4 & 3/8oz) as well as various baits under popping corks with leader lengths between 2 and 3 feet. Rene paddled further north of the group and reported that he had hooked into a small redfish so I decided to break away from the pack and head his direction.

He was about halfway through one of the bends on the east side and as I turned into the bend I decided to work the point because it looked pretty fishy. On the second cast, it was on, I had a decent trout on the line. I got the fish up to the kayak but couldn't reach my net so I tried to flip it and with a shake of its head, it was gone. Needless to say, I kept on working the spot and that's when the redfish action turned on. I was catching red after red so I radioed the group to come join me. Just about at that moment, Jorge was heading my way and I told him to try a cast in the area. On his second cast bam! An upper slot red was peeling drag. He landed the fish and it measured in at 27". We sat on this spot for a while and 4 of us were catching reds left and right. Most fish were quality slot fish with rat reds mixed in.

This action proceeded to continue for a while but I really wanted a trout so I headed north. While paddling I came across Jordan fishing a bend and approached quietly. He then informed me that he was really on the trout and held up a nice fat stringer. This is when things escalated to epic proportions.

We started catching trout after trout on paddle tails suspended under popping corks. All of the trout were well over 15" with most being between 17" and 22". The trout were chasing bait schools around so the name of the game was casting around these bait schools. Jordan repositioned and made the cast of a lifetime on bait school. As soon as he popped his cork it shot under and he yelled out that he had a very solid fish on. His rod was doubled over and I saw the size of the tail as it breached the water. I thought because of the size it must have been a red but he could see that this was a serious trophy trout. After a couple minutes of hollering and fighting the fish, at last, he had it in the net. We took tons of pictures and released the fish safely back to fight another day.

We fished this area a bit more picking up a few more quality fish and then decided to head back to the launch because the wind had really picked up.

We made it back to the launch and verified that Jorge had the biggest fish and presented him with this RailBlaza visibility kit. Congrats Jorge!

All in all it was a trip for the ages and everyone had an absolute blast!

Yak dog

Re: Chocolate Bayou Club Trip 1-12-18

Post by Yak dog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Great start for the club, let’s keep this going :D

Slayer10

Post by Slayer10 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Good report! Congrats to all you guys... Y’all represented SHKFC well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RippinLips

Post by RippinLips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Good times! Let’s get out again soon!

TxAngler

Post by TxAngler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Great report! Glad to finally hit some fat winter trout everyone keeps talking about!